Thursday, September 26, 2013

SQL Server 2012

Today I was able to release my first SQL Server 2012 Application.

The system is used to manage SolidWorks 3D software.  I created a VBA macro with multiple forms for the users.  The forms are there to add new information to the SQL Server and to automate the folder and file creation for storing Cad files and documents related to specific production lines.

I created this system a while back using Access back end.  However when we were upgrading to SolidWorks 2013 64 bit system, the 64 bit system was not working well with the 32 bit system.  We did not want to go to office 64 bit because not all computers were 64 bit.  We loaded the SQL Server 2012 Express on a virtual server, recreated and imported the tables into the SQL server and rewrote the code using a ADODB connection versus the DAO code that Microsoft does not support in 64 bit system.

There have been a few draw backs because I also used the Access Database for maintaining the data integrity.  I modified the existing front end database and linked to the new SQL Server tables using a ODBC driver.  This allows me to still manage the data using the same front end as before.

The second draw back I have not overcome is that SolidWorks has a Property Tab builder that I used to make it easier to fill out Title Blocks automatically.  When I went to update the Property Tab builder to link fields to the SQL Server I found that it only allowed me to link to Access, Excel or text file.  I have not found a work around yet but decided to maintain the old tables in the original Access database.  My next step is to create a procedure in SQL Server to automatically update the Access tables for the Property Tab builder.  I guess I have more learning to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment